[Az-Geocaching] Bass Ackwards Cache

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 08:12:03 -0700

>From: "Hap McDaniel" <happeninghap@hotmail.com>
>To: arizcowboy@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: ropingthewind contacting you from Geocaching.com
>Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:10:38 -0700
>
>Hi Scott,
>Bass Ackwards is no longer there. Sorry. NPS did'nt like it.
>                        hap
>
>Hap McDaniel
>Phoenix AZ USA
>602-909-8672
>n.33.51559
>w.112.12347
>happeninghap@hotmail.com
>www.geocities.com/happeninghaps

Howdy AZ geocachers,

Some sad news as I awake this morning to read my emails. Above is the email
from Hap McDaniel in response to my email to him about the Bass Ackwards
Cache. You know, the cache that is over 530 days old without a find! That is
the official news from the cache owners mouth.

Am I the first geocacher to actually inquire to the cache owner about this
cache? Team Ropingthewind has been planning and plotting for a couple of
weeks now for an attempt at this cache this upcoming weekend. But, we can
rest now! We have wanted to do it for several months now but the North Rim
of the Grand Canyon is closed for the winter and didnt reopen until May
10th. We hoped to do it last weekend, but, business changed our plans. So,
this was to be the weekend.

For those wishing to know... there was a trail to the cache. North Bass
Trail. It appears to be a little used trail. I sent another email to inquire
about the condition of that trail, but, havent gotten a response as of yet.
That was still our big question. Where did the trailhead start and could we
drive to it? The cache appeared to be only about 400' off the trail
(according to my mapping software). No permits were needed except for
overnight stays (backcountry permit). It is possible to hike to the bottom
of the canyon and back up in one LONG day. I have done it (even though the
National Park says over and over on it's web site that it shouldnt be
attempted). Day hiking did not require a permit. Just a park entrance fee.

Geez, and just when we thought we might finally beat Loran to a first! ;)

Well, I am kinda bummed. We were excited about possibly being the first to
that cache. We are only 4 caches away from the big #200 and we were hoping
to make Bass Ackwards #200! Hmm. Maybe Bronco Butte?

I wonder why no one else ever even inquired about this cache to the cache
owner? I wonder why it was never archived? It appears the cache owner works
for the NPS? It appears there are 2 other caches in the canyon. One near the
bottom of the Bright Angel Trail (perhaps?). I wonder what the status of
those caches are since the NPS does not allow caches on their land?

A question to ponder: if a cache is found at least once every 24 hours, does
that make it not abandoned property? If I remember from a past post on the
list here, someone said the NP does not allow caches because they consider
it abandoned property and property cannot remained unattended for more than
24 hours (or something like that). SO, if someone places a cache on NP land
that is pretty easily accessible and close to a city (like Saguaro NP in
Tucson), as long as there was a daily found log on that cache, would the NP
service be in the wrong to remove it (for at least as long as it remains
found on a daily basis)? This probably isnt realistic though. But, just
pondering a question. There might just be a loophole here!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind