[Az-Geocaching] Public lands reopening Saturday; geocaching returns to the high country of Arizona

Ken Akerman listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2015626371-1027013593=:96681

Here is information that I received via e-mail today from a spokesperson of an another outdoor recreational club based in the Phoenix metropolitan area.  It appears that most of our National Forest land is reopening this weekend, and we can now return to our favorite geocaching areas in the high country.  It's time to reactivate those caches that we have temporarily disabled due to fire closures.

Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

COCONINO NATIONAL FOREST
Contact Flagstaff District Office at (928) 527-3600. Geocaching areas are reopening on Saturday, July 20th at 8:00 AM.  They have received sufficient moisture in these areas to reopen to recreational use.  There are still campfire, smoking, and chainsaw restrictions in place.

KAIBAB NATIONAL FOREST
Contact Williams District Office at (928) 635-8200. The Kaibab Forest is reopening to recreational use starting Saturday, July 20th at 8:00 AM.  Paradise Forks is included in the reopened area.  Please note that some parts of the North Kaibab will still have restrictions and closures.  Please contact the office for questions regarding specific areas.

PRESCOTT NATIONAL FOREST
Conctact Prescott National Forest at (928) 771-4708. The Prescott National Forest will reopen for recreational use beginning Friday, July 19th.  Please note that there are still campfire and smoking restrictions in place.

TONTO NATIONAL FOREST
Contact Globe District Office at (928) 402-6200. The Tonto National Forest will reopen to recreational use on Friday, July 19th.  Please note that there will still be campfire and smoking restrictions.

CORONADO NATIONAL FOREST
Contact Santa Catalina District Office at (520) 749-8700.  The Coronado National Forest will reopen for recreational use starting Thursday, July 18th.  Please note that some areas in the Bullock and Oracle Hill fire areas may still be closed.  The majority of geocaching areas on Mount Lemmon will be open.

The status of State Trust Land is being determined right now.  It appears that this land will open on Saturday, July 20th.  Please confirm with the website www.azfireinfo.com for the most current
information and specific areas.  A telephone number to use is (877) 864-6985.  Bureau of Land Management information can also be accessed at the same website and telephone number.