[Az-Geocaching] Unable to search vs unable to retrieve

Tim Giron listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:57:02 -0700

>"I went to the cache site and located the cache, but the area was very
>busy. There was no way to remove the cache, sign the assumed logbook,
>and return it without doing so successfully. So, the fact that I did
>locate the cache counts as a find."
>"My advice to others: Please don't cause this cache to become
>liberated by extracting it with people there. Simply log your find
>if you locate it. Let's see if we can work together to help this cache
>remain as long as possible."

There are plenty of other logs from that cache, "Palo Verde Urban", which state that the searcher either came back at a less busy time or waited for people to leave. Our team enjoyed over an hour of quality park play time while the area gradually cleared out and we were the only ones left. At that time, we made the quick grab and left. For the cache in question, when it was in its proper place, it would have been quite difficult to see the cache container without calling a lot of attention to yourself.

I agree with the "log it to count it" group. There is only a short distance between "I think I saw it, so I'm counting it" to "my GPSr indicated I was on top of it, but there were people around; I didn't actually see it, but I'm sure I would have"

One of the keys to successful urban caching is often patience. The necessity to sign the log should not be overridden by an unwillingness to wait/return. Shortcuts only serve to lessen the accomplishments of those that took the time to fulfill the requirements.

Tim
Team AZFastFeet