[Az-Geocaching] Geo-Mentoring

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:26:46 -0700 (MST)

I've probably sent out more than a dozen messages starting even before it was
suggested on this list.  Usually I get no response at all, though a few
responded and I think I had a nice e-mail exchange with a couple new cachers.
I usually mention this listserver and the azgeocaching website too.  I also
advertised our Tucson gathering when it was imminent and I think there was
one ror two new cachers that I had e-mailed who showed up there (though I
don't know if it was because of my e-mail...).

Jim.

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Team Tierra Buena wrote:

> A couple months back, we were tossing around the idea of
> "Geo-Mentoring": Emailing newcomers who found one of your caches to
> welcome them into the fold, let them know about azgeocaching.com and the
> list server, etc. Have any of you done this with your caches? If so, I'd
> very much like to hear about your experiences with it, even if it's only
> "I sent out a couple of emails, never heard anything back". But I would
> like your guesstimate on how many times you've done it, if you're still
> doing it, and any other information you might care to add.
>
> I'm trying to collect this information for the land management meeting
> I'm attending in mid-January. I'm hoping to use what I get from you as
> an example of how the caching community in Arizona is attempting to
> promote responsible Geocaching practices. You can either post the
> information here, or if you prefer email me directly. Thanks.
>
> Steve
> Team Tierra Buena
> There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". -- Dave
> Barry

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona