[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching in Phoenix

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:11:17 -0700

Brian,

Most of the caches closest to the airport are of the urban "find the
micro without being seen" type. A nearby cache with an interesting twist
is "Working for a living.."
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=13928. Heed the
cautions in the logs about time of day. But in my opinion, the closest
"must see" is "Secret Garden"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5314, a real
challenge. Time of day can have a real impact on that one, as well.

For a more "traditional" caching experience without having to travel out
to the open desert, you could try "Valley View"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15167. Nice views
(if the smog isn't too bad), a short hike, a little climbing, and it
gets you out on some desert terrain. "Back in the Saddle Again"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=903 is very close
by, but recent logs say it's in pretty bad shape. If you have time and
ambition, try "In the Cheap Seats"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23780. Much tougher
terrain, and not as close to the other two as you might think by just
looking at maps and distances.

You'll probably get more information from others on the caches in South
Mountain Park and Camelback Mountain, but I've only done one of those
myself, so I can't really comment. Those folks will be along soon, but
they've got more sense than I do, and they're probably all out caching
on this lovely afternoon.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". -- Dave
Barry