[Az-Geocaching] (no subject)

Steve Gross listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:36:14 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C29FB1.DB514780

Judi and I got our permits today in preparation for doing the El Camino
del Diablo cache in January. I'll try to pass along as much information
as I can here.

A single permit is good for the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range
(BMGR), the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, and the Sand Tanks
area of the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Everyone age 18 or over
who enters any of these areas must have an individual permit. Visitors
17 and under must be escorted by a permit holder.

In order to obtain a permit, you must visit one of the offices where
they are issued (more on this later) and view a 22-minute video. It
covers most of the rules and regulations, and it's somewhere between
interesting and enjoyable to watch. You can then fill out the "hold
harmless" agreement, which basically says you promise not to sue the
government if a bomb lands on your car, and then they'll hand you a
permit. Figure on a total of 30-45 minutes at the office, unless you
have to wait for someone else to finish watching the video (we didn't).

According to the documentation they gave us with the permit, the only
visitors who are REQUIRED to watch the video are those visiting portions
of what is sometimes known as "BMGR East". That area is all northeast of
Ajo and east of SR 85. If that information is correct, then you MAY not
need to see the video in order to get a permit for getting to the El
Camino del Diablo cache, but you'll need to check on that. Tell whoever
you're talking to that you're only planning to be in the area between
Wellton and Tule Well, but don't be surprised if you're told you have to
see the video anyway. The ladies who helped us knew nothing about the
range or its geography, they just knew we weren't getting a permit
without seeing the video.

Again, according to their documentation, the only places that have the
video are the two BLM offices in Phoenix, and the Luke AFB Auxiliary
Field south of Gila Bend on SR-85. (I guess nobody in Tucson ever goes
to the BMGR.) Don't know about hours for all of them but the BLM office
we went to (7th Avenue just south of Deer Valley) is open M-F 7:30-4:15,
though they ask you arrive by 3:15 if you're getting the permit. If you
don't need to see the video then you should be able to apply by mail.
All permits expire June 30.

If you want to try doing it by phone/mail, I'd suggest contacting the
Cabeza Prieta office. They probably have the best knowledge about the
geography and the lowest volume of calls, etc.:

Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge
611 North Second Ave.
Ajo, AZ 85321
520-387-6483

Steve
Team Tierra Buena
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". -- Dave
Barry

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C29FB1.DB514780

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Judi and I got our permits today in =
preparation=20
for doing the El Camino del Diablo cache in January. I'll try to pass =
along as=20
much information as I can here.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">A single permit is good for the Barry =
M.=20
Goldwater Air Force Range (BMGR), the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife =
Refuge,=20
and the Sand Tanks area of the Sonoran Desert National Monument. =
Everyone age 18=20
or over who enters any of these areas must have an individual permit. =
Visitors=20
17 and under must be escorted by a permit holder.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">In order to obtain a permit, you must =
visit one=20
of the offices where they are issued (more on this later) and view a =
22-minute=20
video. It covers most of the rules and regulations, and it's somewhere =
between=20
interesting and enjoyable to watch. You can then fill out the "hold =
harmless"=20
agreement, which basically says you promise not to sue the government if =
a bomb=20
lands on your car, and then they'll hand you a permit. Figure on a total =
of=20
30-45 minutes at the office, unless you have to wait for someone else to =
finish=20
watching the video (we didn't).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">According to the documentation they =
gave us with=20
the permit, the only visitors who are REQUIRED to watch the video are =
those=20
visiting portions of what is sometimes known as "BMGR East". That area =
is all=20
northeast of Ajo and east of SR 85. If that information is correct, then =
you MAY=20
not need to see the video in order to get a permit for getting to the El =
Camino=20
del Diablo cache, but you'll need to check on that. Tell whoever you're =
talking=20
to that you're only planning to be in the area between Wellton and Tule =
Well,=20
but don't be surprised if you're told you have to see the video anyway. =
The=20
ladies who helped us knew nothing about the range or its geography, they =
just=20
knew we weren't getting a permit without seeing the video.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Again, according to their =
documentation, the only=20
places that have the video are the two BLM offices in Phoenix, and the =
Luke AFB=20
Auxiliary Field south of Gila Bend on SR-85.&nbsp;<SPAN=20
class=3D538203201-10122002>(I guess nobody in Tucson ever goes to the =
BMGR.)=20
</SPAN>Don't know about hours for all of them but the BLM office we went =
to (7th=20
Avenue just south of Deer Valley) is open M-F 7:30-4:15, though they ask =
you=20
arrive by 3:15 if you're getting the permit. If you don't need to see =
the video=20
then you should be able to apply by mail. All permits expire June=20
30.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">If you want to try doing it by =
phone/mail, I'd=20
suggest contacting the Cabeza Prieta office. They probably have the best =

knowledge about the geography and the lowest volume of calls, =
etc.:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife =
Refuge<BR>611=20
North Second Ave.<BR>Ajo, AZ 85321<BR>520-387-6483
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Steve<BR>Team Tierra=20
Buena<BR></FONT><FONT size=3D2><SPAN class=3D296575623-28102002><FONT=20
face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D3><EM>There is a very fine line between =
"hobby" and=20
"mental illness". </EM></FONT></FONT><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">-- Dave =

Barry</SPAN></P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C29FB1.DB514780--