[Az-Geocaching] Re: What we place in Urban Caches

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:29:19 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C29FB0.E31415C0

I'm wondering why, if this woman is so worried about her 10 year old son,=
 is she allowing him to wander around parks without her!  After all! he c=
ould fall off some playground equipment, step on a piece of glass, find a=
 poisonous critter, or get hit by a car on the way home!

We do need to use common sense in what we place in caches, but most of th=
ese little pocket knives are no sharper than most everyday items that man=
y children come in contact with.  I think she just wanted an excuse to ke=
ep the knife!

Rand
(RandMan) =20
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: ken@highpointer.com
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 5:56 PM
To: Listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Re: What we place in Urban Caches
 =20
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] What we place in Urban Caches

I just received an email from a non geocacher that her 10 year old son fo=
und in the park.  She wrote "my 10 yr old son has found your cashe and br=
ought it home to me.  sorry to have messed up your game.  your log  book,=
 a pencil, 2 cards, a
keychain and a small pocket knife are inside.  I will return your cashe t=
o the park, but not sure of the actual location, not to mention... I real=
ly don't feel right about leaving a knife in the park for a kid  to find.=
 (justaMy opinion) so... took knife, left peace of mind.   12/09/02  good=
 hunting."

What is this parent so paranoid about?  I remember back when I was a Cub =
Scout, and only 8 years old (I'm not ancien! t - I'm in my 30's now so I =
was a Cub Scout in the liberal 1970's), I wore my Cub Scout uniform to sc=
hool with a pocket knife attached to the belt.  One of the activities tha=
t we did as Cub Scouts was whittling with the pocket knife.  And this was=
 when I was 10 years of age or younger.
Therefore, I cannot see how a small pocket knife in a cache should cause =
any problems whatsoever.  Perhaps the parents should just show their kids=
 how to properly use a knife. That's what parents and other adults did wi=
th me when I was that kid's age.  A small pocketknife, used properly, is =
a very useful tool and is considered an essential piece of equipment for =
hikers, campers and other outdoors people.  (For example, see the list of=
 10 essentials of things to take on a hike by the Colorado Mountain Club =
- pocket knife is #8).
I'm not a parent, but I have two young nephews and a niece scheduled to b=
e born later this week, and I wouldn't hesitate to give any of them a sma=
ll pocket knife as a gift - and I don't believe that their parents (two a=
re my brother's kids, one is my sister's) would be opposed in any way.  (=
I'm suspicious of the parenting skills of that mother who confiscated the=
 cache, but that's just my opinion).
Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C29FB0.E31415C0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I'm wondering =
why, if this woman is so worried about her 10 year old son, is she allowi=
ng him to&nbsp;wander around parks without her!&nbsp; After all! he could=
 fall off&nbsp;some playground equipment, step on a piece of glass, find =
a poisonous critter, or get hit by a car on the way home!</DIV> <DIV>&nbs=
p;</DIV> <DIV>We do need to use common sense in what we place in caches, =
but most of these little pocket knives are no sharper than most everyday =
items that many children come in contact with.&nbsp; I think she just wan=
ted an&nbsp;excuse to keep the knife!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand</=
DIV> <DIV>(RandMan)&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PA=
DDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000=
00 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- O=
riginal Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt=
 Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> ken@highpointer.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D=
"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 09, 2002 5:56 PM</DIV> <=
DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> Listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV>=
 <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Re: What=
 we place in Urban Caches</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <P>Subject: [Az-Geocach=
ing] What we place in Urban Caches<BR>Reply-To: <A href=3D"http://us.f211=
.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com&amp;YY=3D72761&=
amp;order=3Ddown&amp;sort=3Ddate&amp;pos=3D0&amp;view=3Da&amp;head=3Db">l=
istserv@azgeocaching.com</A><BR><BR><EM>I just received an email from a n=
on geocacher that her 10 year old son found in the park.&nbsp; She wrote =
"my 10 yr old son has found your cashe and brought it home to me.&nbsp; s=
orry to have messed up your game.&nbsp; your log&nbsp; book, a pencil, 2 =
cards, a<BR>keychain and a small pocket knife are inside.&nbsp; I will re=
turn your cashe to the park, but not sure of the actual location, not to =
mention... I really don't feel right about leaving a knife in the park fo=
r a kid&nbsp; to find. (justaMy opinion) so... took knife, left peace of =
mind.&nbsp;&nbsp; 12/09/02&nbsp; good hunting."</EM><BR><BR>What is this =
parent so paranoid about?&nbsp; I remember back when I was a Cub Scout, a=
nd only 8 years old (I'm not ancien! t - I'm in my 30's now so I was a Cu=
b Scout in the liberal 1970's), I wore my Cub Scout uniform to school wit=
h a pocket knife attached to the belt.&nbsp; One of the activities that w=
e did as Cub Scouts was whittling with the pocket knife.&nbsp; And this w=
as when I was 10 years of age or younger.</P> <P>Therefore, I cannot see =
how a small pocket knife in a cache should cause any problems whatsoever.=
&nbsp; Perhaps the parents should just show their kids how to properly us=
e a knife.&nbsp;That's what parents and other adults did with me when I w=
as that kid's age.&nbsp; A small pocketknife, used properly, is a very us=
eful tool and is considered an essential piece of equipment for hikers, c=
ampers and other outdoors people.&nbsp; (For example, see the list of <A =
href=3D"http://www.cmc.org/cmc/hike_eqp.html">10 essentials</A> of things=
 to take on a hike by the <A href=3D"http://www.cmc.org/">Colorado Mounta=
in Club</A> - pocket knife is #8).</P> <P>I'm not a parent, but I have tw=
o young nephews and a niece scheduled to be born later this week, and I w=
ouldn't hesitate to give any of them a small pocket knife as a gift - and=
 I don't believe that their parents (two are my brother's kids, one is my=
 sister's) would be opposed in any way.&nbsp; (I'm suspicious of the pare=
nting skills of that mother who confiscated the cache, but that's just my=
 opinion).</P> <P>Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C29FB0.E31415C0--