[Az-Geocaching] You can audit your caches if they are "Members Only" caches (and other benefits)

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:51:43 -0700

At 10:27 AM 12/5/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>What do other Geocachers think about making more caches "Members
>Only"?  In my opinion, it's a good way to manage urban caches and those
>with easy access, because those are the most likely to be stolen or plundered.

Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of members only caches.  I
own one, but only because I adopted it as a members only cache, and agreed
to keep it that way.  It happens to be the first members only cache in Arizona.

I guess it all depends on why the cache is being plundered or stolen.  If
they are easy urban caches I suspect that they are getting plundered
because they are stumbled upon by a non-cacher.  I don't see how turning it
into a members only cache will solve that problem.

I also have a problem with the idea of making a cache a members only cache
if it is in an area that shouldn't have a cache.  If the cache shouldn't be
there, then it shouldn't be there.

Each cache hider should setup their caches in the way that they see fit.  I
want as many people as possible to find my caches so I will leave them
open.  If I lose a cache or two along the way, and I have, I will
survive.  As I said, the only valuable thing that I put in the cache is a
log book.  It is pretty much the only thing that can't be easily replaced.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache