[Az-Geocaching] Survey answers....

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

Well, as usual I am a bit late getting around to my GC emails, but....

Here are my answers:

1) How did you get introduced to Geo Caching?
    Ron "Flash" Gordon, a fellow Jeep Posse member, called me on
6/30/01 to tell me about it.

2) How long have you been a Geo Cacher?
   Since 7/1/01. Already had a GPS (Posse requirement) and went out
next day to find Flash's "Prieta View" near Prescott.
Flash and I ventured out the very next day, 7/2/01, to find Wyle E's
"Camp Wood Cache". 8 hours (class 4 4x4 driving in and out plus 2.5
miles hike RT, we took the hard way.

3) What is your present GPS'r?
      Garmin 12
    a) What was your first GPS'r?
      Garmin 12
    b) How many units have you owned?
      One
    c) What unit(s) would you recommend to new cachers?
      I recommend they research the different makes/models and decide
what features they want and how much to spend. I'm fine with my G-12

4) How long did it take to locate your first cache?
    "Prieta View" was a 10 minute walk and 2 minute search, at the
most.

5) What has been your most memorable cache?
    Lots are memorable, but I would pick "RR Rim Cache"
    a) Why?
      It hadn't been found in 6+ months(?), and we put together a
4-team assault squad to hike the vertical Mogollon Rim (myself and
daughter, CBx2, Bob Renner and Son (?) and Snaptek) Very challenging
physically for me, so feel great sense of accomplishment, plus the
team work was fun.

6) What has been your least favorite cache?
   I haven't had any really horrid experiences. If I had to pick one,
maybe "Quartz Cache" NW of Prescott.
    a) Why?
   I was alone, it was VERY HOT, and the bushwacking left me with lots
of scratches on arms (did wear long pants).

7) What factors dictate which cache you go looking for?
   Location (scenic, new), not too far or difficult physically or too
rough to drive to (unless I am with Flash) and grouping nearby caches
if I have time to do several.

8) How many other Geo Cachers have you met while on a caching hunt?
    Hm...I know I met Lincoln at his 2 of seven cache. And
Marlinspike's parents....can't remember any others (sorry)

9) Has that meeting changed the way you cache?
    no

10) When unable to locate a cache how long do you search?
    30 to 40 minutes, depending on time, weather, darkness, etc.
    a) How many attempts before logging a no-find?
       2
    b) Do you contact the cache owner for help?
       Haven't yet
    c) Do you ask other cachers for help?
       Don't recall if I have yet.....

11) When driving around are you tempted to go and look again at caches
you have found before?
    Yes, to read the log book. But most up here require a hike, so I
save my energy for new ones.

12) What has been the best trinket in a cache?
    A CD of music made esp for putting in caches (in Reno) blues, jazz
and classic rock

13) What has been the worst trinket in a cache?
    Any kind of food, and lighters. I remove them.

14) Do you leave a signature item?
     No....I ran out of Jeep Posse buttons!
    a) Are you considering your own?
     Yes
    b) Who has the most notable?
     Don't know. Loran by reputation, I guess. I don't have one.

15) When in a populated area waiting to retrieve a cache what things
do you do to pass the time?
    Sit and wait, people watch
    a) While waiting what was the worst thing to have happen?
    2 bike police rode by VERY SLOWLY (actually, we were turning over
rocks, so we wern't waiting technically)
    b) What has been the best thing?
    Nothing, haven't had to wait very often

16) Do you practice Cache in Trash out?
    Yes