[Az-Geocaching] Failure and Suggestion

Joanna Strohn listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:26:13 -0700

As a newbie, I was under the impression that a "no find" is a failure. Thus
I didn't log last weekend's failure. I will log this weekend's failure (no
find) when I finally find the cache.

Early this morning I put together my cache pack. It's essentially the same
as my dog pack except I've added the GPS, pen and paper, notes, and some
goodies. Put the leash on Sargeant and headed off. At the parking area saw a
man and dog and instantly wondered if he was a cacher. A couple words polite
conversation. Wished there was someway to find out if he was a cacher
without asking directly. Thought of another group I belong to where there's
an identifying phrase.

So my suggestion is:

When someone sees someone who may be a cacher, comment:

"It's a nice day to cache some rays."

With the response:

"I hope I cache something!"

Or some such ... what do you guys think?

Went to where I thought the cache was. Instead of a solo homeless duffle,
the owner was sitting beside it. Oh oh. Casually walked past as if I was
simply walking the dog. I was puzzled. Since my failure the cache had been
found. Was I looking in the wrong place? I walked around. Hm. Maybe. I
decided I wasn't into climbing or walking through a lot of sand. Wished  I
had my hiking pole and decided to add it to future search gear. I decided to
head back to the car and take a differnt approach.

I think I stumbled as Sargeant pulled as I prepared to cross the street.
Fell heavily on both knees, palms, face. Lay there in the road stunned and
hurting. Pulled myself to a sitting position and felt sick. Gathered my GPS,
broken prescription sunglasses, pack-out trash bag, and scooted to the side
of the road. The thought of putting pressure on my shredded knees was not
appealing so I simply sat, trying to calm myself and do a check of the
damage.

Homeless came along and asked if I needed help. I was grateful for the hand
up. Returned home to clean my wounds.

Cache kit will be expanded with hiking stick =and= first aid kit. Maybe
tennies and jeans rather than sandals and shorts too!

To the plus: I am dyeing the silk handkerchiefs I plan to leave when I do
find a cache.

  -- WingRider (Stubborn 'R Us)