[Az-Geocaching] It's not as bad as we have been told

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
20 Aug 2002 15:15:50 -0700

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 14:47, Jim Scotti wrote:
>     Thanks for forwarding the info.  Two questions, how much of the state
> trust land does he speak for?  Would there be a similar contact we should
> make down here in Tucson?

I have no idea.  I actually forgot to ask what his exact job is.  All i
know is that when I was trying to call him and he wasn't there are his
voice mail said he was in "tresspass".

> Second, I wonder what he would think of a virtual
> cache at well known archeology or historical sites.  I suppose there aren't
> many of those on state trust land since they would probably be under the
> National Park service (or maybe should be...).  Places like ghost towns or
> whatever.  There's one cache down here which is planted in an old rock wall
> (from the early 1900s) and near the remains of an old dam and there are
> several petroglyph sites including a prominant one on a rock in the canyon
> leading up to the dam.  It's not on park land and it's a pretty popular
> hiking trail, so that probably doesn't fit the bill either, but there may be
> other areas like that that do....

I can't say for sure.  I know that he was very worried about people
walking around on top of archeology sites and possibly ruining stuff
just below the surface.
As for quite well known sites, I think it would deend on the site.  He
sounded very open to helping us, so it would probably be OK to contact
him and bounce the location of the proposed cache off of him and see if
it would be OK to place it there.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek