[Az-Geocaching] Response to Jason Poulter

Bob Renner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:40:40 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Hubbell,

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond
with your comments about geocaching in Maricopa County
Parks.  I think we all agree that the intent of
geocaching is not to destroy or damage sensitive
sites, but rather to provide a form of outdoor
recreation which, as one goal, tries to highlight
points of scenic beauty or historical significance.
It is unfortunate that some people, whether
intentional or not, may cause damage to such places.

At this point, I do not want to get into a debate
about who has the right to see sensitive sites,
whether they should be kept a secret and whether or
not they should be fenced off.

What I would like to do is to offer my assistance in
helping you evaluate the existing geocaches in
Maricopa County Parks.  I think the owners of these
geocaches would also welcome the chance to discuss the
pros and cons of the current locations and would most
likely be open to suggestions on alternate placements
should such actions be necessary.

I would also like to propose we come up with some
method of establishing guidelines for future geocaches
in Maricopa County Parks.  The ideas you mentioned in
your email would be a good starting point.  Hopefully,
we can all agree on a course of action that is
beneficial to the preservation of the parks and also
promotes the future of geocaching.

Sincerely,
Bob Renner

--- Rand Hubbell - PARKSX