[Az-Geocaching] More News

Bell, Robert listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:02:58 -0700

Unfortunately the AP picks up trash like we do, except theirs
was this unsubstantiated diatribe from the AZ Republic.  The
story has now also run in the AZ Daily Star paper in Tucson, and
has been picked up by NPR, and has been discussed on that
radio station at least twice.  Who knows who else has seen or
read about it.

http://www.azstarnet.com/star/thu/20808RScavengerHunt.html

When we got other news coverage, it was informative and in a
positive vein.  I was excited to have more people join and participate.
This negative article is obviously making the rounds on the AP new
wires now.  My concern is people looking at the website and wondering
if any of these "vandal magnets" are nearby, and possibly removing
them to prevent a perceived threat.  Over-reaction?  Maybe, but
I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I suspect Mr Ed would fall into this
category, and probably others who won't bother or know how to
check the facts further.

So I respectfully disagree on not temporary MO caches.  Its not that
big a deal really. I've gotten two finds on my caches today alone.
If you're a serious cacher, you probably have already done them,
or are a member.  If you're not, waiting a week or so probably won't
inconvenience you.

Lets stick together on this to support and protect the game we so much
enjoy.

Rob
Team CHUMP