[Az-Geocaching] Congrats & Invitation to Phoenix

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:29:30 -0700

--=====================_4356900==_.ALT

At 01:16 PM 8/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
the sport and our caches are in public places accesible by all. The thought
was that some people who read the article might think caching itself is a
bad sport and there are people who would seek caches to destroy them just
to be hateful. I think this is fresh in the minds of people right now and
the time is more likely to be now rather than later for this to occur. As
the article pointed out, there are vandals out there who seek to destroy
and have no respect for others or historical artifacts. Perhaps we are
being overly sensitive, but I think everyone is a little on edge this week
and feeling defensive after being wrongly accused in a public forum.

-----------------

There has been no indication that there is going to be an army of people,
or even a single person for that matter, who will be heading out with the
sole purpose of destroying caches.  The only negative that I have seen was
the gentleman who posted the message to the list about his property, and
even though I doubt that geocaching is the cause, he has every right to be
upset about the trashing of his property.

I also don't mean to offend, and if I do I apologize, but I see this as a
knee-jerk reaction to a perceived problem that may or may not exist.  I
still contend that if there are those out there that are going to be
anti-geocachers, one weekend will not stop them.  If they are intent on
destroying caches, they will start with the easy ones and then move on to
the harder ones.  If it gets to a point where there are only member's only
caches left they will simply spend the $35 so that they can destroy them also.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache

--=====================_4356900==_.ALT

At 01:16 PM 8/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:<br>
all. The thought was that some people who read the article might think
caching itself is a bad sport and there are people who would seek caches
to destroy them just to be hateful. I think this is fresh in the minds of
people right now and the time is more likely to be now rather than later
for this to occur. As the article pointed out, there are vandals out
there who seek to destroy and have no respect for others or historical
artifacts. Perhaps we are being overly sensitive, but I think everyone is
a little on edge this week and feeling defensive after being wrongly
accused in a public forum. <br><br>
-----------------<br><br>
There has been no indication that there is going to be an army of people,
or even a single person for that matter, who will be heading out with the
sole purpose of destroying caches.&nbsp; The only negative that I have
seen was the gentleman who posted the message to the list about his
property, and even though I doubt that geocaching is the cause, he has
every right to be upset about the trashing of his property.<br><br>
I also don't mean to offend, and if I do I apologize, but I see this as a
knee-jerk reaction to a perceived problem that may or may not
exist.&nbsp; I still contend that if there are those out there that are
going to be anti-geocachers, one weekend will not stop them.&nbsp; If
they are intent on destroying caches, they will start with the easy ones
and then move on to the harder ones.&nbsp; If it gets to a point where
there are only member's only caches left they will simply spend the $35
so that they can destroy them also.<br><br>