[Az-Geocaching] Mr Ed

Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:07:36 EDT

Howdy All,

 I just wrote to the 'Mr ED'. The one that said we were illiterate, sign
shooting, animal pooping, outdoor mating, trespassers on his property. I
think he was just angry at the way his property is being vandalized, and the
article points the finger at us, so he assumes that we are responsible.
 So Im trying to contact him to discuss this further. What I want to do is
show him there are no caches on his property. That would show geocachers
aren't resonsible for his problems.
       BUT,
 If there HAS been a cache placed on his property, then that only means that
someone obviously placed a cache without his permission. If that is the case
what I am recommending is along the lines of what Kyle was saying:
       We have a Geocaching Rally on his property to clean up the 'mess' and
invite the so called 'reporter' as well.
       Here is my response to him via email:
Mr. Ed,

       I just read your response posted to the Geocaching LISTSERV. I can
understand that you may be upset at the disregard and disrespect of your
land, I would be as well, I do think you are directing your anger in the
wrong direction.
       I and another team geocacher (among a few others) are in the Law
Enforcement field. Most of the geocachers I have met are in the tech,
medical, military, and a few other fields that consist of primarily middle to
upper class folks that I would guess are about the same age as yourself. I
cant speak for every cacher out there, so I will speak about the ones I have
met, as well as myself.
        I / we will not trespass on posted property.
        I / we do not litter and on most occasions will pick up litter
following the 'cache in trash out' motto of geocaching.
        I although do carry a firearm in the course of my duties, DO NOT
shoot up signs.
        I / we have homes as well as the money to afford appropriate mating
grounds.

The list can go on, but you said you have heard it all, like I have. What
seems to be the problem is:
 Your property was littered and vandalized. You see a story in the paper that
seems familiar. Most of what was written in that story was not true. One
reference was Lake Pleasant, where a cache was removed. At the time the cache
was removed, only 3 visits were made to that cache. The amount of vandalism
that was reported at that area could not have been made in 3 visits. I
believe the reporter did not investigate that article appropriately. If I did
that type of work I would be out of a job or involved in a lawsuit.
        I will make you an offer. I would like to meet with you and show you
two things:

1) We will look to see if there ever was a geocache placed on your property,
which will prove whether geocachers could be responsible. If there has been
one placed on your property, I have something in mind that might satisfy you
in that area, respond for details.
2) Go on a geocaching find with us to see what its about before you make an
opinion.

 You say its a waste of time. Would you also say hiking, camping, fishing,
ect. is a waste of time? I have placed a few caches in different states, in
my home town, at my childhood fishing spot and campground, and at my favorite
park. Also I have placed a few in parks here in AZ, so more people could
visit and have the pleasure as well.
       This letter is getting longer that I had planned. I feel like my
integrity has been challenged, as well as some fine people that have chosen
to geocache as recreation. I believe in all fairness as a reasonable person,
you will feel compelled to investigate this matter a little more than
believing everything you see in print.
       If you would like to take my offer or respond, feel free, I welcome
you to do so. Thank you for you time, and Im looking forward to hearing from
you.

J Hall, T Angel
Team Spring

 I need feed back on this, is it a good idea, and would anyone be willing to
try and clear our sullied reputation by a good deed/s?
Thanks,
J&T& Harry - Team Spring