[Az-Geocaching] FW: Archeaological Damage

Sara Buchmann listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:51:55 -0700

In the spirit of being a squeaky wheel I sent our friend Ms. Leonard a
response to the article also:

Dear Ms. Leonard,

I am a member of the gocaching community you wrote of in your article today.
  I read it and was disturbed by the bad publicity you have given us.  Many
other members in the geocaching community were disturbed and sent responses
to the article.  Through our "hi-tech" communication I read some of the
"inform" the public.

Some of the poeple I work with know that I'm a Goecacher.  One of them
walked up and asked if I read the article.  He proceded to say, "You and
your friends are ruining archaeological sites."  This person is not a
geocacher, he is not a park ranger, he simply read the article and received
what you were trying to "inform" him of.

The members of our geocaching community are now worried about what will come
from this bad publicity.  I ask that you retract the article and write
another article to include include our "Cache in, Trash Out" plan.  This
plan allows members to post pictures of the clean up they do when visiting
sites.  This will "inform" the public that we are making an effort to keep
our cache sites clean and counteract the accusation that we are threatening
archaeological sites..

Sweepea