[Az-Geocaching] Destruction of geological site(s?)

Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:50:15 -0400

Ok.. so the mistery of who stole the cache from A Sign From The Past III has been solved. From the description of this article there is no doubt that Truman Peters is the one that took it.

 I take offense at the article and believe he is lying about the theft of articles and damaging trails. A very few senior AZ geocachers have visited this site and I am confident that they did not damage the site. There is nothing to damage or “steal” at this site as he claims in his statement to the press. The site is mearly a set of LARGE boulders (very hard to steal) that have petroglyphs on them. I saw no signs of pottery shards or any signs of nearby ruins or artifacts. There are no trails to the site and therefore it would have it is impossible for someone to have “damaged” them. When we placed this cache we parked on a 4x4 road and walked to the site. While at this site we never saw ANY no trespassing signs, permits required, vehicle restrictions, or any other indications that the area was restricted. As for Truman Peters saying he made a note I have “never” received any notification from him even though the cache contained the standard geocache letter about requesting the cache be removed. How did he leave this note? At the site? there were several geocachers that visited the site and could not find it after it was removed. Did he nail it to a tree? Etch it into the Rocks? Leave it in the container that he took?  I think any of the very few that visited this site will verify that it was not “trashed” as he claims to the newspaper. This whole artical seems to be a slam on our hobby and an attempt to make geocachers the scapegoat.

 I take offense at his arrogant attitude of  “stay away from our archaeological sites” since when did he take ownership of these sites? I found this site by looking at a topgraphical map and it was clearly marked on the map as containing petroglyphs! This site is public and I believe that everyone has a right to visit these areas to view them. What good are they if they keep them secret and no one has an opportunity to enjoy their history and beauty? I have a great respect for these ancient sites and when we visit them we only take “photographs”. When I find these site in the future I will no longer place an actual cache but will post them as a Virtual so that everyone can enjoy them.

WhereRWee?
Ken