[Az-Geocaching] A comment on statistics

Teri Hall miltarycat@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:46:40 -0700

Ok, this is a tough post for me to add, but I need to get it off my back.  I
know I will probably be the only one who agrees with my thoughts, but there
is always one black sheep in the group right?

I for one DO NOT like the new statistics.  I had the most fun Geocaching
from the beginning of July (when we found out about Geocaching) through the
beginning of September (before the stats showed up).

Geocaching has been around since mid 2000.  I had no problem with starting
out knowing I had only X number of caches.  I didn't even give a (fill in
word) that people like Bob Renner etc. had numerous more caches than we did
- since he has been geocaching from the beginning and we had just started.
There wasn't a problem until September with people complaining about others
finding their own cache, finding a cache more than once, etc.  Nobody cared
until September 4th.

Now it is a big competition (maybe not for the females, but statistically in
Sociology, men are BIG on competition).  Who has the best difficulty/terrain
number? (not fair to those who are handicapped or who are not mobile enough
to hit 4's and 5's).  Who has hidden the most caches (gee, I don't have a
job as I was laid off, but to be competitive with team X, I had better go
hide 15 caches to keep up).  And last but not least, who has the best cache
karma? (Do you even know what Karma is?  Is it even a part of your
religion?)

Like I said, I will probably be beat down for this, verbally attacked, or
just shunned by the popular, but I don't care.  I do not like the statistics
at all.  We can all come up with our own statistics gathering if that is
what we are concerned with, or just find caches and have fun.  Geocaching
was much more fun before statistics.

:::Stepping off soapbox:::
Teri
Team TJ