[Az-Geocaching] New Stats!

Brian Cluff brian@snaptek.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:55:38 -0700 (MST)

> You may not get alot of "general support" from geo-cachers in other states,
> I base this upon the responses I got from a question I posed on the message
> boards....called "Jeremy: Hiders logging own caches?" or something like
> that. As is quite the norm with the message boards, the thread quickly got
> off my original question and turned into a forum for the vast majority
> voicing their opposition to keeping stats and being competitive at all (not
> very realistic to human nature!) Anyway, who cares what those people think
> if we like what we are doing, right? Just thought you might find it
> interesting.

I would tend to agree for the most part.  In reality I absolutly hate
sports, and most of it is due the competitiveness of the whole thing.  I
think that why i/we are trying to come up with a whole lot of different
stats so that there really isn't any way to "win", but we could eventually
have some sort of awards ceremony with dozens of first place awards given
out.
I acually for the idea for stats up at the perseid campout were I heard a
lot of mention to the physical number of caches people were doing.  It
suddenly occured to me that we were behind, yet we were definatly one of
the first cachers in town.  After thinking about it for a while I realized
that we tended to go out and do the more difficult caches that usually
take a lot longer and then maybe on the way back we would stop by one of
the very easy in town caches if there was still time, but more often there
wasn't.  Thats when I decided that I wanted to see a difficulty+terrain
"score" to see exactly were people stood as far as that limited view of
the game went.  My assumption was correct at the time, it took us from 5th
place based one number of caches visited to 3rd place based on score.
Unfortunatly thats no longer true.  I guess you eventually have to start
visiting the more difficult caches due to the limited nature of easy ones.
Hopefully soon we will get some time based stats out so that people can
compare themselves to the "big boys" and see how they are doing.  I think
they will find that wyle e will still be kicking their ass, but at least
they will know for sure hehehehe :)

> By the way, no one has offered an answer to my cache larva question....is
> this because my question is being ignored, folks don't have time to answer,
> or.....nobody knows????

I think that I was a little confused as to exactly what a "cache larva"
is.  Was there no web page that was hidden along with it.?