[Az-Geocaching] Anyone in Tucson

Larry Farquhar lfar@home.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:34:32 -0700

Looking forward to the new Tucson area caches. My luck, you'll wait until
I've found the other caches down there - then hide the new ones. :-) It's a
never ending cycle (but fun).

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.azjeeper.com

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com]On Behalf Of Scott Wood
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 4:46 PM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Anyone in Tucson

At 04:10 PM 10/30/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Finding caches in Tucson costs money! $5 to park at the Catalina Mtn park,
>$5 for Sabino park, and $5 for Mt Lemmon. OK - Sabino and Mt Lemmon can be
>on the same visitor's pass.

I really hesitated about placing the cache on Mt. Lemmon because of
that.  I was going to place it near a park down here that would not cost
anything to go to, but I am going to hold off on that one for a little
while.  It will probably be my next cache.  When I was trying to figure out
my backup plans, I decided to go with where I ended up placing it.  A lot
of people use the general area, but there are some real surprises in the
area when you get a ways from the parking lot.  I also figured with the
other new one up there it might ease the pain a little if there were 4 up
there to spend the $5 on.  I have an annual pass since I do spend a lot of
time on the mountain, but it really doesn't make much sense for those from
out of town.

>I understand there's a toll and fee for the
>Colossal Cave cache area???

I have a hard time deciding if that one is worth while.  Up until a few
years ago the drive out through the Colossal Cave area was great.  You
could go all the way through to the interstate.  Since then, they have
gated off the road and put in a new road that bypasses everything.  I
wouldn't be as upset if I could still drive through the whole area, but now
you can only go about .5 miles.  Of course, the ranch is sort of nice, and
the cave is a lot of fun, but they charge you to go into it also.

We did go and find that cache, but we combined it with the "Halloween Howl"
that they were having last weekend.

>Come on up to the Phoenix area for the day (or weekend). There's plenty of
>caches. You can choose many of the "easy" urban caches, or go for some of
>the "mountain park" caches with nice hikes and great views. We're not THAT
>far away. Take the family for a weekend to the Prescott or Payson area for
>the weekend. There's also plenty of real nice caches in both areas.

I actually plan on doing just that.  My wife and I end up in Phoenix quite
often anyway, might as well do some caches while we are there.

I am hopeful that if some more caches get hidden in the Tucson area more
people might get interested in getting out and finding them.  I have plans
for at least 2 more that won't require paying to park :-)